Sunday, October 17, 2010

The cutting edge

This morning I had a meeting with on my fellow directors for this student alumni association we work for. After we had finished our official business, we started talking about history papers and I told her if she needed help finding sources at the library, I would totally be willing to help a sistah out, because I am a history major and thus very familiar with the library.

"Wow," she said, even though my library investigative skills aren't as impressive as they sound. "You know, I think you would be a good journalist."

I laugh, knowing what she does not about my former career aspirations and dashed dreams and disillusionment and all that. "Nah, being a journalist is too much work," I replied. "Plus, journalism is dying."

"True," she nods. "I think blogging is going to take over."

Oh, precious. How insightful. Welcome to 2004.

Look, I like this girl. I really do. She's great to work with. But that was adorably out of date. We've only got two years until the world ends* and I would've thought by now that everyone under the age of 30 was a bit more with the times. But what do I know? I don't even have a Twitter.


*Because Westerners totally have a complete grasp of and solid belief in Mayan cosmology and astronomy and therefore should trust all of their predictions.

2 comments:

  1. This entry made me laugh XD
    (also twitter ends up being a huge time suck, if you want to get any work done, avoid it haha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahahahaha. I quite enjoyed this whole post. :D (if this were Facebook, I would *like* it officially.)

    Although I really don't think journalism is dying, just emerging in a new form. Newspapers may be dying, but they are just a form of journalism: the web is a new frontier! :)

    Ever optimistic,
    JAG

    ReplyDelete